On 2014-04-14 09:28, Fritz Anderson wrote:
On 13 Apr 2014, at 11:01 PM, Lorenzo Thurman <lore...@thethurmans.com> wrote:

I have an NSView with two subviews (A & B) placed horizontally with respect to each other. The subviews can take a variable number of uniformly sized subviews. I’ve placed these constraints on subviews A & B, (all done in IB):
(They should both have the same height)

Top space to container
Bottom space to container
Horizontal spacing between A & B
Intrinsic View -> Placeholder -> Width checked to None
Horizontal content hugging priority set to 1

The left has:
Leading space to container

The right has:
Trailing space to container

The parent view has:
Intrinsic View -> Placeholder -> Width checked to None
Horizontal content hugging priority set to 1

With these constraints, I would expect the parent view to resize itself horizontally as the subviews (A & B) try to expand to accomodate the addition of more subviews. But instead, the parent view does not resize at all, subviews A & B do not resize and their subviews are crammed together as more are added. If I remove the Horizontal spacing between A & B, they both resize horizontally, and if I add enough subviews to each, they extend beyond the right edge of the parent view.

So, how what mojo do I need to apply to get the parent to resize horizontally? I’m really just getting started with Auto layout, and it seems more confusing than it probably really is or should be.
Thanks

What constraints are you putting on the subviews you add dynamically to A and B?

        — F

The subviews, a subclass of NSView, are made up of three views, a vertical NSSlider, an NSTextfield rotated 90 degrees and pinned to the left side of the slider and another textfield pinned to the bottom of the slider. This subview returns a height of 150.0 and width of 50 for its inrtinsic size.

The subviews set top/bottom space to container, with 5px between each.