On Apr 24, 2014, at 8:42 PM, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:

> You may be aware of this, but dispatch_sync() is not necessary or even
> particularly relevant to thread-safety.  The use of a serial queue or,
> possibly, a reader/write mechanism using barriers, is what achieves thread
> safety.

Initial experimentation showed that dispatch_async was significantly slower
than dispatch_sync. This makes sense because dispatch_async has to copy the
block (thus allocating an object on the heap and retaining any captured object
variables) while dispatch_sync can get away with running the block before the
call returns, which avoids all that overhead.

> Using a synchronous call is only necessary if your API has synchronous
> semantics.  For example, if a call provides immediate results to the caller.
> Reading from a database would typically have to be synchronous, but writing
> to it can often be asynchronous.

Yeah, I was torn about making the write calls async. But in the underlying C
API both the read and write calls return error codes, since there could be disk
or memory errors, and I didn’t want to ignore the return codes on the write
functions. (My mama didn’t raise no boys to skip proper error handling.)

—Jens