On May 6, 2014, at 11:12 AM, Quincey Morris
<quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

> I’ve been thinking about this since your original question, and it seems to
> me that this is a subtler problem than it seems:

No offense, but I think you’re overanalyzing it. Remember I said that the UTF-8
data was generated from an NSString via -dataUsingEncoding:, so it’s going to
have the same structure as the UTF-16 in the string.

> 3. It’s *possible* that you can create a NSString that has the same code
> points in the same order as the UTF-8 string

I’m not creating an NSString. The client already has an NSString and is asking
for character range in that string.

—Jens