On May 6, 2014, at 5:31 PM, Daniel Höpfl <ap...@hoepfl.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 06.05.2014 23:32, lorenzo wrote:
>> I posted this on SO, but got no answers, so I'm trying here and mabe I
>> can get some help.:
>>
>> I have a window into which I horizontally add two subviews. Into each
>> subview, I place a variable number of subviews made up of a vertical
>> slider, a text field rotated 90 degrees and placed to the left of the
>> slider and another textfield, placed just under the slider. The slider
>> subview's constraints are done in code, the parent views are both done
>> in IB. When I add more slider views to the left window than the subview
>> can handle in its default size, it resizes horizontally and forces the
>> window's content view (and window) to also resize horizontally. Great,
>> that's just what I want. But if I add more slider subviews than can fit
>> in the right subview, they just get squeezed together and the subview
>> does not expand as the left. I layout the slider views using code with
>> this category converted to support NSViews, instead of UIVews:
>>
>> UIView+AutoLayout1: https://github.com/jrturton/UIView-Autolayout
>>
>> The constraints for the left and right subviews are more or less the
>> same. I can't figure out why the right view does not resize as the left
>> view does.
>>
>> Here is a link to a sample project that demonstrates the problem:
>> http://www.spikesoft.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SliderTest.zip
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction?
>
> In your MainMenu.xib, there is a constraint "[Left view]-(233)-|" that
> needs to be "[Left view]-(>=233)-|".
>
> (Also, in SliderController's intrinsicSize you use
> _counterField.frame.size.height when calculating size.width. Not sure if
> this is correct.)
>
> Bye,
>   Daniel

I had this at some point in the past, as I was adjusting the constraints to
achieve the desired behavior and just overlooked this one through the
troubleshooting process. I’m still rather new to Auto Layout so I guess
sometimes you can see the forest for the trees. Thanks for pointing out my
error and I’ll take care of the slider’s intrinsic view size.