I really hate it when a file is read for any reasons without reading it.
Some app's do this, then the file info shows that the file is read at that
time, without that I opened it.
Specially when I have in the finder a smart folder with read today.

my suggestion.
So is it really only to know for existence of that file, use
checkResourceIsReachableAndReturnError.
If you gone read or write to it use the read and write NSURL api's.

HTH