We have several (9) iOS 7 iPhone apps in a workspace that I can open up in
Xcode 5.x, and run on our devices.

All good.

But, it appears that even when using "Inferred" for view controllers' Simulated
Metrics, Inferred is being ignored and is being replaced with Black Opaque.
Sometimes.

What's super odd is that when these one of these apps is switched into the
background, then another app brought forward, then the app in question is made
active again, all apps from this workspace end up with Opaque Black nav, status
and tab bars.

Now, when running, all of the apps have the default white status and nav bars
and a white tab bar if the app has one.

As soon as the app is brought forwards again, the black items are rendered in
white as expected.

It's like the simulated metrics have all been switched to Black Opaque - but
only when the apps have been in the background and another app has been brought
forwards.

I tried manually setting the first view of the storyboard's initial view
controller so that the status bar, the top bar and the bottom bar are all
different from "inferred" but that actually put a  white status bar directly
above the top of the tab bar on the bottom the screen after the app is switched
to the background.

I've got screen shots of this too.

Spending a little more time with this, I've had to set the initial view
controller in the storyboard (a tab view controller) to have the Bottom Bar set
to OpaqueTab Bar.
In the view controller for the first tab item, setting Top Bar to Opaque
Navigation Bar ends up getting the white bars back.

I haven't figured out how to get the white status bar off of the top of the tab
bar, but this is a work in progress at the moment.

Oddly enough, newly created apps in Xcode 5.1 still cause this problem for us
in many cases but some don't.

First of all, these apps are created using default settings in Xcode 5.x. with
no custom changing of the simulated metrics in code.  Why would the Simulated
Metrics inferred settings be ignored when the app switches to the background?

Questions:
- Is there some hidden setting that makes the compiled app ignore its own
storyboard settings for the Status Bar, Top Bar and Bottom Bar when the app
moves to the background?
        - Are there any preemptive steps we can take in code to make sure I
don't have to go through each view controller
          to prevent getting black opaque treatment on various UI elements when
the apps switch to the background?

- Why are the "implied" settings being ignored when the app moves to the
background?

- Since it appears that the OS is doing this, would apps that have this problem
be immediately denied from the B2B or iTunes App Stores?

Thanks in advance.  This is an odd one.

- Alex Zavatone