Maybe you could get by just saving those icons that are more modern? You may
truly need to keep them, but there's practically no need for 'ICN#' and their
like anymore in modern OS X. The most modern ones (especially the retina-based
ones) are just wrappers around PNG, JPEG, image file data, anyway.

I haven't read of any limitations like you describe, so maybe it's a bug,
possibly a half-Carbon accidental-deprecation (I found this happened for
compositing icons).

Since the 'icns' format is well documented, why not make as many subsets as
required using ImageIO and then programmatically combine all your 'icns' into a
single 'icns'? It's a kludge, but it would work.

If you want to investigate more, maybe see if the 15-image limitation only
happens when one of the modern icon formats is present like a retina-based one.
Then, that might add fuel to your bug report and/or provide extra info for your
'icns' merge operation.
--
Gary L. Wade (Sent from my iPad)
http://www.garywade.com/