Okay, if I create a new NSWindowController subclass (and tell Xcode to
generate the .xib as well), it gives me simple (too simple, I think) template
code, whose init... method takes an NSWindow reference. Where does this come
from (the reference)?

• Is the code instantiating the custom NSWindowController subclass supposed to
allocate the NSWindow reference, and - if so - how? I thought the controller
was supposed to mediate interactions between the UI and any models or other
controllers, according to MVC; other code shouldn't have to worry about how or
where the window comes from.
• Or is this one of those "magical" things that's automatically hooked up when
the .xib gets unarchived? If so, how, since I would think the controller would
have to load the .xib first, and the template code simply contains no reference
to loading (any) xib!

  Unfortunately, all my "program in MacOS X...." books are really out-of-date;
what with all the publishers focusing on either Android or iOS these days... :(
(a look about in Barnes & Noble the other day revealed NO books on OS X
programming.)
  Could someone on this list please help me understand how a window, and its
controller, are supposed to be loaded/instantiated/unarchived (that's not in
the MainMenu.xib, but in a separate set of files (the header, implementation,
and xib, all related by the class name)?

P.S. This is with Xcode 5.1.1 on MacOS X 10.8, compiling for MacOS X 64 bit,
10.7 SDK.