On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:54:06 -0700, Seth Willits said:

>It's not even about malicious intent. Coda obviously has no malicious
>intent, but it breaks my app. I'd break Coda if it my app was installed
>before it. That's just inconceivable to me.

The root problem is with file formats that are not your own.  You don't
control/own the .sql format and neither does Coda, so who gets to choose the
UTI?

The OS does keep a list of UTIs for common formats:

/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Info.plist

You should file a bug to get .sql added there.  I've previously got 'industry
standard' formats added to the OS (ex: org.nema.dicom) via Radars.

At least you and Coda are talking about the same format.  Worse, is when two
totally different formats happen to use the same extension, like .img, that
sucks even worse.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 s...@rogue-research.com