So what's the story with tableFooterView and tableHeaderView and
autolayout? I am trying to put a label into a footer.

No problem if I give the label a frame but with the promise of
autolayout this should not be necessary - I thought. I cannot really
set any constraints referring to the super view in this case, but I
thought the intrinsic content size should be good enough to size the
footer view. Apparently it's not.

Could someone clear up how this is supposed to work these days?

cheers,
Torsten