On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 08:38:10 -0700, Seth Willits said:

>If that's really how it works, then UTIs are really seriously stupidly
>broken in this kind of case, and I just can't believe that's true.

Believe it. :)

>The only real option I see is to not use UTIs at all.

Exactly.  It's only really safe to use UTIs if they are declared by the OS or
for your own very specific file formats with long extensions like .araelium or
something.

For any format not controlled by you, you're doomed.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 s...@rogue-research.com