I've got that working in code ... thoughts on how to do this with
storyboards? Or at least, I'd like to create the children views themselves
in the storyboard.

When I 'freeform' the view controller to allow me to show a UIScrollView
that is 2 "pages" wide, binding the first view to the width of the
scrollview (which is 720.0) and then pulling that view's display frame back
to half that (to place two children side by side) creates inconsistent
constraints wrt to the child view / scrollview widths.

( I followed a bit of what Rob talked about here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16889123/how-to-add-objects-to-a-uiscrollview-that-extend-beyond-uiview-from-storyboard/
and then watched a bit of his video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgeNPRBrB18&feature=youtu.be )