On Jun 24, 2014, at 07:55 , Sean McBride <s...@rogue-research.com> wrote:

> I guess it's omission could be a bug, but assuming not, Sketch gets a
> compiler warning if you tag its own designated initializer (init) with
> NS_DESIGNATED_INITIALIZER, since it doesn't call one of super's designated
> initializers.

It doesn’t look like a bug per se, since the old NSWindowController pattern is
grandfathered into the Swift world. However, tagging a subclass ‘init’ as
designated will break it.

I believe you can solve it if you implement ‘initWithWindow:’ as a designated
initializer in the subclass too (just calling super). In that case, your
subclass will inherit ‘initWithWindowNibName:’ as a convenience initializer, so
it can be called by your subclass ‘init’ — though I would assume only as ‘self
initWithWindowNibName:’, not as ‘super initWithWindowNibName:’.

> I was trying not to mention 10.10 due to any NDA (though Apple seems more lax
> about it recently)

Nothing I said was under NDA, since all the information came from the Swift
book and the WWDC videos, which are not under NDA this year. In fact, I haven’t
downloaded 10.10 or Xcode 6 yet. Since the answer to your question isn’t under
NDA, I think we can assume the question was legal too. :)