well the 'problem' is that the quotation marks you have in there aren't the
usual 0x27 simple quotes but the pretty left/right quote marks which are
unicode U+2018 and U+2019. 0xE28098 is the UTF-8 representation of the first of
those, 0xE28099 is the encoding of the second one.

So either the textview is returning a different string than it was before, or
the string conversion is returning a different answer in that case. First thing
is probably to work out which of those two cases it is, different output from
text view or different string encode.

Have you tried [ string dataUsingEncoding:NSAsciiStringEncoding
allowLossyConversion:YES ] ? Although that comes with its own set of sharp
edges.