I added a UIButton to a UICollectionViewCell in IB, and then dragged a segue
from that to another scene. The problem I need to solve is for that destination
view controller to know which represented object was associated with the cell
in which the source UIButton was. But I can't see how to do that.

One approach is to trigger the segue programmatically from the Cell subclass,
but you can't do that without knowing the view controller. How does the button
do it?

I can think of a few other approaches, but they're all kinda gross. Any
recommendations? I want to present a modal form sheet (iPad) when a button
inside the UICollectionViewCell is tapped without doing the normal segue that
happens when any other part of the cell is tapped (to allow the user to edit
metadata for that item without opening the full UI for that item).

TIA,

--
Rick