On Jul 3, 2014, at 10:31 AM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:

> Firefox doesn't resolve start.rental either.
> Neither does Chrome.

Neither does curl, nor whois. (And I tried the same commands on a Linux system
and they failed there too, so this isn’t specific to Apple OSs.)

$ curl start.rental
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: start.rental
$ whois start.rental
whois: rental.whois-servers.net: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

My guess is that the global root name servers (run by ICANN) haven’t been
updated to support custom TLDs yet. (I’m not really following that topic,
mostly because I think custom TLDs are silly, so I don’t know whether they’re
supposed to be enabled yet or not.)

—Jens