> On Aug 10, 2014, at 1:14 PM, Fritz Anderson <fri...@manoverboard.org> wrote:
>
> That’s a rendering. And I’d be surprised if your digitizer didn’t adjust the
> outlines to fit the unique medium of embroidery, making its output a
> derivative work.

I don't think that adjustment would be a problem. There are lots of graphics
programs like TypeStyler that programmatically alter the rendered outlines. And
printers will often make slight adjustments to optimize output.

I looked up Adobe's font license agreements*, and the relevant bit seems to be
this paragraph:

14.7.4 You may convert and install the font software into another format for
use in other environments, subject to the following conditions: A computer on
which the converted font software is used or installed will be considered as
one of your Permitted Number of Computers. Use of the font software you have
converted will be pursuant to all the terms and conditions of this agreement.
Such converted font software may be used only for your own customary internal
business or personal use and may not be distributed or transferred for any
purpose, except in accordance with Section 4.4 of this agreement.

IANAL, but my reading is that for a customer of your app to extract the
outlines and send them as part of a vector file to some sort of printer (like
an embroidery machine or a laser-cutter) is fine. But for your app itself to
include copies of font outlines would not be OK.

—Jens

*
http://www.adobe.com/products/type/font-licensing/end-user-licensing-agreements.html