> > I have a set of relationships:
> >
> > Foo.proxy <----> Foo.proxyFor
>
> That’s a head-scratcher, Jim.  A relationship is not between properties.
> A relationship is between objects,
>
> Foo <——> Bar
>
> In some cases, probably yours, the objects may be of the same type…
>
> Foo <—> Foo

I apologize, I was merely not being clear -

Yes, the relationship is between two Foo objects, with the relevant
properties being proxy and proxyFor.

> Now on to the real issue…
>
> > [someFooObj setProxy:otherFooObj] ;
> >
> > All hell breaks loose
> >
> > I finally fixed this by -not- overriding the Core Data setter
>
> You didn’t post your override of -setProxy:.  Post that override, and
> maybe someone can answer your questions.

That was a typo (Man, I'm being horribly unclear today...). I meant that I
fixed it by -not- overriding the CoreData getter.

That is, I didn't use the -(Foo*) proxy; method I posted originally, and
instead changed it to using -(Foo*) defaultProxy, and left the proxy getter
as @dynamic.

I have the same issue whether I use a custom setProxy:(Foo*) method or the
default @dynamic'ally generated one - the didChangeValueForKey:@"proxy"
note causes that cascade of setting to nil, and then to self.

Only by moving that functionality out of the proxy getter and into the new
defaultProxy getter did I resolve it.

(technically, I could also resolve it by overriding setProxy: and not
calling willChangeValueForKey:/didChangeValueForKey:, but of course, that's
not the right solution)

-Jim.....