Hi Alex. Xcode will also complain if you don’t call super. You must call super
and assign it to self…but then it seems that you are free to re-assign self -
which I kinda get - the parent class might be doing important stuff in
super…maybe there’s a more primitive init method I can override.

Ideally though, we don’t even do this. Ideally, there is a better way to handle
a custom suite for bindings with a NIB.

> On Sep 8, 2014, at 1:15 PM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> Stupid question, but what happens if you don't assign the first self to the
> result of the call, but just call [super initWithCoder: coder]?
>
> Do you need the result of that call, since you immediately override it?
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Sep 8, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Alex Kac <a...@webis.net> wrote:
>
>> This feels like there should be an easy answer...
>>
>> We are no longer using standardUserDefaults since we want to someday offer a
>> widget for our app that will require accessing our app's preferences..so
>> we're using NSUserDefaults with a custom suiteName.
>>
>> *The question is*:  in the NIBs for our Preference panes, we had various UI
>> elements bound to NSUserDefaultsController.  The normal
>> NSUserDefaultsController in IB is set to only use standardUserDefaults.  Is
>> there any way to have it use our userdefaults instead?
>>
>> I did come up with one way - but I don't I love it.  I made a subclass of
>> NSUserDefaultsController and in the initWithCoder method, I tell it to use
>> our defaults...of course, I have to first call super or else I'll get a
>> compiler warning (which feels like a waste and causes me to re-assign
>> self)...so here's what I have now:
>>
>> - (instancetype)initWithCoder:(NSCoder *)coder
>> {
>>    self = [super initWithCoder: coder]
>>    self = (MyUserDefaultsController *)[[NSUserDefaultsController alloc]
>> initWithDefaults: myUserDefaults initialValues:nil];
>>
>>    return self;
>> }
>>

>> Is there a better way?

>> This email sent to z...@mac.com

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc.

My wife and I do a lot of things together including Halo 3 and firearm
training. She's awesome.