I would go with class methods. Apple's APIs tend to use instance methods
(NSFileManager, NSNotificationCenter, etc.); the benefit of those is that you
can have multiple instances with different state (like delegates), or different
behaviors. The doesn't seem like it's relevant to your case, though, and it's
nice to be able to avoid to write "sharedInstance" all the time.

Straight C functions work too; I also use those for things like this. Pros:
they're faster. Cons: the call site is less descriptive.

—Jens