> On 19 Sep 2014, at 8:59 pm, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerr...@mdenkmann.de> wrote:
>
> My iOS app running on 8.0 says:
> "Trying to start MapKit location updates without prompting for location
> authorization. Must call -[CLLocationManager requestWhenInUseAuthorization]
> or -[CLLocationManager requestAlwaysAuthorization] first."
>
> Two questions:
> 1. where is requestWhenInUseAuthorization documented?

In the documentation for CLLocationManager, for iOS, not OSX. It’s worth
remembering at this point the recent conversations on the Xcode list about how
the documentation for Xcode is entirely borked, not coming from what’s local on
the box and showing anything it feels like whether you ask for OSX or iOS,
you’re probably looking at the OSX one even though you didn’t ask for it. use
google, or Dash.

> 2. Where am I "trying to start MapKit location updates" ? I don't do this
> knowingly.
> Or qualifies the mere usage of MapKit as "trying to start MapKit location
> updates”?

I have no idea. What are you doing which uses maps, or core location?

> Where or when should I ask for authorisation?  AppDidFinishLunching?

Avoiding the obvious joke about apps being happy after they have finished lunch
..

That would be exactly the place Apple recommends you *don’t* ask for it.
Possibly, very possibly if you were asking for requestAlwaysAuthorization it
might be a place to do it, but the recommendation is never to ask for blanket
permission at the start of an app before the user has a clue why you want it,
but ask only at or around the point they have requested something which they
will understand is the cause of your app asking for permission. Else they
normally either say no or say no, delete your app and give it a one-star
rating. So you need to figure out what it is you’re doing which triggers the
request and ask in response to a user action.