My document structure is a file wrapper containing a bunch of RTF documents and
a file called structure.json which describes how they relate to one another.

I write out the structure file like this:

    let structureDict = theProject.getStructureDictionary()
    let jsonData = NSJSONSerialization.dataWithJSONObject( structureDict,

    writeFileToWrapper(
      parentWrapper: theFileWrapper!,
      filename: structureFileName,
      data: jsonData,
      err: outError
    );

I’m not including the bodies of getStructureDictionary() or
writeFileToWrapper() because they seem to work just fine. The structure.json
file appears in my output package, and if I open it using TextWrangler, I see
exactly the JSON content I expect, stored in UTF8 encoding.

The thing is, my app can’t read it back in. Here’s the function that’s not
working:

  override func readFromFileWrapper(
    parentWrapper: NSFileWrapper!,
    ofType typeName: String!,
    error outError: NSErrorPointer
  ) -> Bool
  {
    if let fw = parentWrapper.fileWrappers[ structureFileName ] as?
NSFileWrapper {
      if let data = fw.regularFileContents? {
        let debug: String = NSString( data: data, encoding:
NSUTF8StringEncoding )
        let obj: AnyObject? = NSJSONSerialization.JSONObjectWithData( data,
        if let structureDict = obj as? NSDictionary {
          var proj = DocumentNode.readFromWrapperViaStructureDictionary(
parentWrapper: parentWrapper, dictionary: structureDict )
          theProject = proj
          theFileWrapper = parentWrapper
          return true
    return false;
  }

I expect I’ll find bugs in readFromWrapperViaStructureDictionary() if I ever
call it, but I never get that far.

With Swift and Xcode, stepping line-by-line through code it a bit confusing
because the current line indicator bounces all around, sometimes appearing on
lines of code already executed. But to be best of my belief, my problem is that
obj can’t be converted to an NSDictionary. I inserted the debug: String to see
what’s read from the file, and it comes back as garbage.

Is calling regularFileContents the wrong way to read up my JSON file?

—

Charles Jenkins