On 29 Sep 2014, at 10:43 am, Andreas Mayer <andr...@harmless.de> wrote:

> Specifically, it is the Sepia filter that crashes. Other filters exhibit odd
> behavior, like ever more pixellated output.
>
> Are there documented limitations in respect to CIFilters and transforms?

Well, there are common-sense limitations. The output of a filter is an array of
pixels, therefore, you need to be careful about applying transforms that
significantly scale up that output when displayed. Unlike a vector path, you
can't just scale it up and expect it to look smooth. Instead, you have to
ensure that the filter's output is matched to the display's pixels (i.e. the
inverse scale operation). At best, naively scaling a filter's output will give
you poor results, but at worst it could lead to bad values being passed into
Core Image - for example leading to a pixel buffer with a width or height of
zero, which will definitely assert or crash.

I think you need to go back and explain what you're actually trying to do. At
this point it's anyone's guess what's wrong, but it sounds like you've designed
a graphics system that can't fly, so that basic design needs to be questioned,
not some small detail of it.

--Graham