> On Oct 4, 2014, at 11:27 AM, Charles Jenkins <cejw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just asked a question about the NSStackView, but perhaps I’m looking at the
> wrong control altogether.
>
> What I’m trying to make is a scroll view containing a vertical stack of
> editors for RTF subdocuments. Each of the text views should size itself to
> fit the width of the scroll view, but grow vertically as much as necessary to
> display its full content.
>
> The more I think about it, the more I think what I need is a single-column
> table view within which each cell holds a text editor. But each row, text
> view, and text container should resize to fit the text held within. How can I
> achieve that?
>
> —
>
> Charles Jenkins

Are you trying to use NSTextFields or NSTextViews? Either way, you will
probably want to enable them to scroll as vertical height on a screen is
limited.
At some point you will probably need to scroll vertically in the RTF document,
unless you have some limit on the actual amount of text and you know the screen
size of all users in advance.
You don’t want a window that exceeds the vertical height of a screen and you
have no way to know what size screen might be used in advance.

NSStackView in a scroll view should be easier in some ways than NSTableView (if
you want vertical resizing easily)
You could also do a NSSplitView with custom splitters.
However, it really sounds like you should consider a master-detail design if
possible.
With say a table view to the left that is for selecting a section to work on,
then the section displayed to the right.
You could also do a master-detail design with NSTabView. (even tabless, using a
custom tab selector of some sort)