> > It sounds like you're trying rrrealllly hard to avoid admitting to
> > yourself that your model code needs to be rewritten.
>
> I don't think so as our model code works just fine when driven from
> Windows V-C that get a font, gets it its outline and mer table and call the
> model.  Beautiful output.

Maybe you are both right. See
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/kern.htm
"NOTE: Apple has extended the definition of the 'kern' table to provide
additional functionality. The Apple extensions are not supported on
Windows. Fonts intended for cross-platform use or for the Windows platform
in general should conform to the 'kern' table format specified here."

So the chances are most fonts for general consumption (but not necessarily
those from Apple) will have the older format even if they have the new one.
You may be rubbish results for Apple fonts, in which case the new Apple
table 'kerx' becomes relevant. You can support both.

Kerx might give better results but that is a trap in itself if you want
cross-platform consistency; your needs might be for consistent layout cross
platform rather than better kerning on one platform. Only you can know this.

> Is it possible to get the 'kern' table if it exists?

In CTFont Reference see "Getting Font Table Data". Be particularly careful
of endianness.