On my past two gigs, I've spent a fair amount of time subclassing UITableViews
and UITableViewCells.

Yesterday another programmer came to me with a question where he wants to plop
text of variable lines into a custom footer in his table view.

Sure, that will work, but honestly, this looked Ike a perfect case for another
subclass of table view cells, but in another section.

Since time to investigate this approach is non existent, hopefully you guys
clarify some preconceptions here.

Since the tableView has a registerNib method, does that imply only one type of
custom cell?

If it doesn't, is it conceivable to have cell reuse identifiers for each type
of cell subclass? Assuming here we could do something such as "if in section
one, display these cells, otherwise display these other cells" or even, "we
have data of this type, use this type of cell subclass".

I've become very familiar with the need for cell contentView clearing within
the cell's prepareForReuse method with custom cell creation.  If registering
more than one nib to allow for multiple cell types for a table view's cells is
supported, this would great, but I assume that the methods for
cellHeightAtIndexPath would have to properly cast the cells based to handle
variable cell height as well.

TL;DR: can table views use multiple cell subclasses each with their own XIBs?
If so, how?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Sent from my iPad. Please pardon typos.