Dear list,

I’m trying to find a good idiom for allowing the user to select an item from a
hierarchical tree of items. The items are categories, and categories can
contain sub-categories, etc. This is easy to present using a UITableView and
segues. But in this particular part of the UI, I want to allow the user to
select a particular category (in order to move a category to another place in
the tree). So, what’s a good way to distinguish between the user touching a
cell because they want to select that cell, or because they want to drill down
to sub-categories? Clearly the presence of a disclosure indicator gives the
user the impression that touching a cell will drill-down. And this is good. But
how can the user signal that they rather want to select the category (let’s
call that a ‘pick’ action) instead of drilling down?  What I’d like is that
touching the centre of the cell selects it, and touching the right side
drills-down. Is such a thing possible/supported?

I tried googling around a bit but I failed to find a good search string; always
ended up with basic drill-down tutorials.

Looking for good ideas….

Many thanks,

Martin