> On 2014 Nov 07, at 14:14, Greg Parker <gpar...@apple.com> wrote:
>
> Which frame are you in when you try to read the register (the top frame, or
> some other frame)?

Some other.  #11 in this call stack:

#0   in strlen ()
#1   in strdup ()
#2   in objc_class::nameForLogging() ()
#3   in cache_t::bad_cache(objc_object*, objc_selector*, objc_class*) ()
#4   in objc_msgSend_corrupt_cache_error ()
#5   in safeARCWeaklyStore ()
#6   in -[NSMenuItem setTarget:] ()
#7   in -[NSMenuItem copyWithZone:] ()
#8   in -[NSSearchFieldCell(NSSearchFieldCell_Local) _updateSearchMenu] ()
#9   in __CFNOTIFICATIONCENTER_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER__ ()
#10  in _CFXNotificationPost ()
#11  in -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] ()
#12  in -[SSYSearchField appendToRecentSearches:] at SSYSearchField.m:53
#13  in -[CntntViewController search:] at /CntntViewController.m:351
#14  in -[BkmxDocWinCon search:] at BkmxDocWinCon.m:2907

I’d like to know what is the notification name, object and userInfo that Cocoa
is trying to post.

> What does `register read rdi` display in the top frame?

I just learned that this is a lldb command.  I’ve never used that command.  The
next time this crash occurs, I’ll try it.  Maybe I can accelerate the next
crash by scripting a stress test.

> objc_msgSend_corrupt_cache_error is trying to print some diagnostic info
> before crashing. You should usually debug it as if it were a crash in
> objc_msgSend itself: zombies, guard malloc, etc. The contents of the
> diagnostics will occasionally offer clues that the object was valid but the
> class was hit by a memory smasher.
>
> In this case objc_msgSend_corrupt_cache_error is itself crashing while trying
> to decode the data, which doesn't help distinguish "good object" from "bad
> object”.

Thank you, Greg.  I have a few things to “push” on now :)