On Nov 18, 2014, at 6:38 AM, Charles Jenkins <cejw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It’s very easy to create an NSAttributedString that represents a text table,
> then show the table in a TextView so the user can edit information in the
> cells. The documentation on how to create a text table
> (https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/TextLayout/Articles/TextTables.html)
>  is fairly clear.
>
> What I don’t see—and maybe it’s there but I just don’t understand it—is how
> to pull the table apart again. Suppose I want to grab all text from the first
> cell after the user has edited it. How do I do that?

You would presumably enumerate the attributed string's ranges for the
NSParagraphStyleAttributeName attribute, using
-enumerateAttribute:inRange:options:usingBlock:.  For each paragraph style
object, you would check its textBlocks property to determine which cell the
range is part of.

You're presumably either dealing with just a one-level table or the top-level
table, so you would be interested in the firstObject of the textBlocks array.
After verifying that it's an NSTextTableBlock, you'd check its table,
startingRow, rowSpan, startingColumn, and columnSpan to determine which cell
it's a part of.  If you're interested in the entire contents of the first cell,
you'll need to accumulate the ranges that are part of it, since they won't
necessarily all be part of a single range as enumerated.

Regards,
Ken