OK, thanks. I was hoping that I didn't need to delve into the internals of the
m3u8 format itself, since AVPlayer/AVPlayerView handles it just fine - I just
make a NSURL from the m3u8 url and away it goes.

By the way, it isn't just audio, it's video and audio and possibly other things
- there are three tracks in the asset for the stream I tested with but I forget
what the third is now (first two were video and audio).

It seems as if the architecture of AV Foundation allows what I want, but the
actual implementation doesn't, *unless I've missed something*. I'm wondering if
this gap in the implementation is deliberate for some reason, is there but
requires some other combinaiton of parameters from the nes I've tried, on
Apple's 'to do' list or is fundamentally not possible.

--Graham