On 20. Dec 2014, at 20:39, Quincey Morris <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2014, at 12:08 , H Miersch <hmier...@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> if I DO call [self setTranslatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints:NO]; on the
>> subview, the window and its view behave normally, but the subview doesn't
>> appear, its drawrect method is not called, nothing.
>>
>> so what am i doing wrong?
>
> It sure sounds like the custom view is having its size forced to zero because
> it has no size (or other) constraints that keep this from happening.

it looks like that didn't help. maybe i've made a mistake with the size
constraints, or maybe there's something else wrong.

i have a method that calculates the required height for the subview. here's the
code i added to that method:

                [self setFrameSize:NSMakeSize(width, height)];
                if (heightConstraint) {
                        [self removeConstraint:heightConstraint];
                        heightConstraint = nil;
                }
                if (widthConstraint) {
                        [self removeConstraint:widthConstraint];
                        widthConstraint = nil;
                }
                heightConstraint = [NSLayoutConstraint constraintWithItem:self

                                attribute:NSLayoutAttributeHeight

                                relatedBy:NSLayoutRelationEqual

                                   toItem:nil

                                attribute:NSLayoutAttributeNotAnAttribute

                           multiplier:1

                                 constant:height];
                [self addConstraint:heightConstraint];

                widthConstraint = [NSLayoutConstraint constraintWithItem:self

                                attribute:NSLayoutAttributeWidth

                                relatedBy:NSLayoutRelationEqual

                                   toItem:nil

                                attribute:NSLayoutAttributeNotAnAttribute

                           multiplier:1

                                 constant:width];
                [self addConstraint:widthConstraint];

did i screw up? wouldn't surprise me, since this is my first project where i
use constraints in codeā€¦

come to think of it, should i add the constraints to the superview instead of
self? gonna try that...