Greetings, O readers of the sacred list !

        Merry Xmas, and a Happy New Macintosh, btw.

        On X.6 Snow Leopard, a QuickLook preview executed from the Finder is
displayed in a window with a translucent black background.  The text color is
white, ergo.

        On the same system, same file, same QL generator, the preview shown in
the Finder’s ‘Info’ window is drawn on an opaque white background, the text is
black.

        How does Apple know to make the text white in one place and black in
the other?

        If you’re thinking "Wh on Bk and Bk on Wh, therefore XOR to the
rescue", I’ve tried every conceivable setting of cgBlendMode and
nsCompositingMode and nothing has any effect whatsoever on the text color which
results in the window.

        Or perhaps it’s possible to detect the “background color” of the
current CGContext or NSContext?  But this notion doesn’t seem to exist.  The
context’s APIs are 99% set(), and basically no get().  And if the background
color is an aspect of the containing window, well, fine, but a QL plugin has no
pointer to its containing window.  Argh.

        As it stands now, my text is invisible in one place or the other place.

        Please shock me with what a simple thing I’m missing somewhere, thanks.