> On 6 Jan 2015, at 07:38, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
>

>> On 6 Jan 2015, at 4:11 am, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>>
>> I honestly thought that in the post-Steve-Jobs era we at least wouldn't get
>> these pointless gee-wow visual effects anymore; he was always very
>> susceptible to them.
>

> Glad I'm not the only one thinking this.
>
> It's not just pointless eye-candy, it's actually contrary to usability. In
> Safari, I'd come to the conclusion that the window frame "tint" was an
> indication of whether you were in a private session or a non-private one, but
> after some time realised that the "tint" was merely an effect of what colour
> the content of the web page happened to be that had been scrolled up behind
> the title bar. A small thing, but nevertheless misleading.
>
> It's also completely arbitrary; what meaning does having a blurry translucent
> background in a souce list (but not for other window content) actually
> convey? The whole idea should be canned before it becomes more pervasive.
> It's already a nuisance and causes numerous graphics glitches (e.g weird
> black outlines around a non-active progress bar when on a vibrant
> background). Developers have better things to worry about.
>
> People suggested that OS X had jumped the shark with Lion. If so, we're into
> Jaws VIII vs. Godzilla 3D territory now.
>
> —Graham

I was wondering why this wasn’t annoying me, then I remembered I turned all
this crp off months ago with the ‘reduce transparency’ toggle on the
accessibility panel. I found having shadowy bits of whatever was last front
before I switched to Xcode or Mail under the navigator was just confusing. The
effect is also limited to the frontmost window, which leads to the odd effect
where if you have say Xcode over Safari, you get bleedthrough of Safari in the
Xcode window, but if you then pull up something very small, like calculator,
something not full-screen, the bleedthrough between Safari and Xcode disappears
again because now Calculator is frontmost, Xcode is behind it and Safari is the
third window. As you toggle back and forth the blurry shadow guff appears and
disappears which is really jarring.

I even filed it as a bug, noting that the entire effect was ghoulish to start
with but if it was going to be done, at least do it consistently.

I’ll toggle reduce transparency back on again and return to sanity.