iOS UIPicker first display issues.

Hi.  Some of our users are having problems with the UIPicker when its initially
displayed.

Since the UIPicker displays with an item in the row already, many users
instantly think that value displayed is the one selected and immediately
dismiss the picker view.

I've tried to call selectRow: inComponent: animated: and didSelectRow:
inComponent: on the pickerView after I've allocated it, but these fail to
actually select the row.

Within didSelectRow: inComponent: is where I'm handling what is selected.

When is the proper time to declare which row to show as selected?

As it is now, I'm thinking of resorting to the dismissal of pickerView and
checking to see if the selectedRowInComponent is equal to nil.

Any advice on the proper location in the creation of the UIPicker to assign
this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Sent from my iPad. Please pardon typos.