> On 3 Feb 2015, at 11:58 am, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> The app supports 4 document types. It imports all 4 UTIs corresponding to
>> these types, but it exports only two.
>
> This doesn’t sound right to me. My understanding is that a UTI string is one
> of three things:

You know, I'm having a strong sensation of deja-vu. I've fallen foul of this
before - basically mixing up import and export UTIs.

When I see "Import" it suggests to me something I'm bringing into my app, and
export is something i'm moving from my app into the world. Since UTIs are
associated with document file types, it seems natural to suppose that this
refers to reading (import) and writing (export) those files. But this not what
import and export of UTIs means at all. I did get all this sorted out in my
mind once before relating to another app, but time passes and I'd forgotten it
all again (I'm finding that's happening a lot lately, but anyway).

I think having had the lightbulb go on (again), I can sort that out.

> The rest of the document seems to contradict this by repeatedly referring to
> multiple types per subclass, but it *could* mean that the others are all
> import/export types. It’s possible the pop-up only appears if there’s more
> than one subclass.

Well, in fact the file types I can read are variants of the same thing in that
they all end up producing the same data model, so I can open them all using the
same document subclass. In other apps I've had the format pop-up appear with a
single subclass, so that isn't a necessary trigger.

> I’d go to the highest level — specifically the top level that has “fileType”
> as an explicit parameter. Otherwise you risk inconsistency between use of the
> original fileType and your substituted fileType *after* you return from
> whatever method you override.

Yes, I see what you're saying. But I think I can fix things correctly by
sorting out my incorrect UTIs, so I'll definitely try that before pulling apart
the document stuff.

--Graham