> No disrespect, but after 30+ years of developing, I am roughly conversant
> with debugging strategies.

My apologies, I sent my spam before noting who I was sending it to.
Of course I know you've been a coder, actually for quite a longer time
than I have.

There are some other considerations that you might not have looked into though.

Does this happen on just one machine?  If that's the case perhaps it
could be a hardware problem.  Try installing MemtestOSX, rebooting as
single-user then:

   $ ./memtest all 1

Let the tests run to completion.  Note that this will also indirectly
test for problems with your CPU, memory controller and motherboard.

Is your box overheating?  If so the fans will make a lot of noise.

Perhaps you found a bug in the kernel or one of the userspace
frameworks.  I won't insult you by telling you how to regress that but
if it is in the kernel I have some insight into kernel debugging.

Cheers,

Mike
Michael David Crawford, Consulting Software Engineer
mdcrawf...@gmail.com
http://www.warplife.com/mdc/

   Available for Software Development in the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan
Area.