Thanks, Ken and Graham. Somehow I must’ve deleted windowNibName by accident.

Previously, my Source View window ignored any attempt to set the text color of
an item, then after updating to 10.10.2, suddenly text colors worked. Because
that change in behavior related to the OS, I also associated the change in my
modal dialog with the 10.10.2 update, but in reality I must’ve fat-fingered
something and deleted windowNibName without noticing.

—

Charles