> On 17 Feb 2015, at 5:59 am, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 16, 2015, at 12:30 , Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>>
>> A view controller and its view should be reusable in different contexts, or
>> at least designed as though it might be.
>
> To round out the larger discussion for posterity, I’d add that when using an
> OS X storyboard, the picture is a little bit different.
> The other thing that’s different: An OS X storyboard that contains a window
> will actually contain a window controller too, and at least a content view
> controller. When using XIBs, putting controllers in the XIB — though doable —
> is typically a code smell. In storyboards, it’s a necessity.
>
> To be clear, I’m not suggesting that OS X storyboards are compelling yet, but
> I think they will be eventually. We need to start factoring them into our
> thinking.

And storyboards did away with the concept of Files Owner as well. Now the view-
or window-controller is in the XIB that's what you usually connect to. This was
probably the most common practice anyway so it makes some sense.

Coming from iOS (jeers from the gallery) I quite like storyboards on OSX too
and they support all the embedding and other segues which make hooking up the
scenes of an app quite intuitive. For odd views, especially those which really
want a non-controller files owner, I still make a NIB and I don't expect that
to be going away any time soon.