Hi,

> I think you might need to provide some more info about your architecture and
> I also think you need to ask your questions in the xpc devforums list:
> https://devforums.apple.com/community/mac/coreos/xpc
> <https://devforums.apple.com/community/mac/coreos/xpc> because if you get an
> answer there it is more likely to be well informed.

Thanks Kevin, I’ll take a look at the XPC forum.

> I am a little confused by your terminology. I’d call an Application a process
> that a user interacts with (that displays the menu bar) but I wouldn’t call
> the four items listed above Applications.

Yes, it is confusing and I think I called it this because it’s referred to as a
“Faceless Background Application” (FBA) in some places. I’ve just started this
project and I’m a little confused about some of the things I need to do myself,
but I think I have it clear in my head what is needed now, there are two things
that are needed:

1.  Have some kind of background monitor (FBA?) that detects certain conditions
and when a trigger condition is met, send it to a regular Mac Application (with
a UI). There is no need for any of the Application(s) to send anything to this
FBA.

2.  Have some kind of “Service" that owns an SQLite database and allows other
applications to send read/write requests to it.

I was confusing the two before, probably because in the specification I have,
the two are shown as one unit.  At the moment I am concentrating on the Monitor
(1) above, as the database manager is not needed until further on in the
project.

Given the that I have two “applications” (for want of a better term) LTWMonitor
and LTWAppX, then on the face of it and ignoring any OS requirements for the
moment, this is what needs to happen:

LTWMonitor will be Launched when the User Logs.
LTWMonitor will then launch LTWAppX as part of its initialisation.
LTWAppX will launch and do nothing, waiting for an “Event” from LTWMonitor.

Once this has happened:

If LTWMonitor detects a Trigger condition, it will send it to LTWAppX.
When LTWAppX receives the message from LTWMonitor, it take the appropriate
Actions (e.g. display an appropriate UI) for the message received.

Given this, should I be considering XPC for the UIMonitor? One concern I have
it what it needs to be very responsive and as far as I know XPC is the fastest
solution and is the preferred modern way of achieving this.

The other problem is that I am under NDA and I can’t reveal too much about the
product.

In the past I’ve used an official “Apple Developer Support Incident” for things
like this and since the company I am working for has a few of these as part of
their Developer Membership i might as well use one. I was wondering if this
type of request is still handled? If so, then I think it would be worth using
one for this as it’s fundamental to the whole project.

All the Best
Dave