> On 10 Mar 2015, at 09:08, Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org> wrote:
>
> However the user experience is rather barren.
> The app simply dies.
>
> As well as posting the report ReportCrash(8) also allows informs the user of
> termination and allows restart.
> I know that prompting users twice for reporting is inelegant and confusing
> but crashing with no UI feedback at all is a bit mystifying - where did my
> app go!
>
> True. It would be better to have a custom dialog - but from a signal handler?
Yep. A dialog would be preferable.

Mr Ash suggests kqueue and GCD based handlers which can (though I have not
tested this) run arbitrary code post signal.
https://mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2011-04-01-signal-handling.html

However PLCrashReporter uses a straight ahead signal handler:
https://github.com/plausiblelabs/plcrashreporter/blob/e6d1ac18d758e8e0197f32f927bb6b31b8559f95/Source/PLCrashReporter.m

The PLCrashReporter repo does contain GTMSignalHandler (part of the google
toolbox) which is kqueue based but this is not utilised.

Perhaps you could utilise the kqueue based handlers, show your UI and then call
the PLCrashReporter signal handler (which in turn calls your signal handler
with containing exit(-1).

https://www.plcrashreporter.org/documentation/api/v1.2/async_safety.html
http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/code/objc/Reliable_Crash_Reporting.20110912.html

> Well, I guess a crash is a crash. So maybe unreliable ist acceptable if it
> works most of the time. After all a crash *should* be an edge case that does
> not happen too often.
True. But an unreliable crash catcher is not much of an asset!