I'm using Xcode 6.2 and Swift 1.1.

1. The following statement reports the error "'NSURL?' does not have a member
named 'path'" even though executableURL has a trailing exclamation point to
unwrap it. The caret identifying the location of the error is placed under the
exclamation point.

for thisApp in NSWorkspace.sharedWorkspace().runningApplications {
     let thisPath = thisApp.executableURL!.path // ERROR
}

If I change executableURL to bundleURL, the error goes away. Yet executableURL
and bundleURL are declared identically according to the NSRunningApplication
reference document. As far as I know, bundleURL and executableURL both satisfy
fileURL.

The error also goes away if I assign thisApp to a local variable and expressly
downcast it to NSRunningApplication, as shown below. Why would I need to do
that with executableURL, when it isn't necessary with bundleURL?

for thisApp in NSWorkspace.sharedWorkspace().runningApplications {
     let myAppAndIMeanIt = thisApp as NSRunningApplication
     let thisPath = myAppAndIMeanIt.executableURL!.path // NO ERROR
}

Is this a Swift bug?

2. Is executableURL suitable to get the URL to a flat-file (non-bundled)
application? Or is it only intended to get the executable inside of an
application bundle? I have always assumed the former, because
NSRunningApplication handles LSUIElement and LSBackgroundOnly applications as
well as ordinary foreground applications, but the reference document doesn't
say and I can't find any discussion.

3. Are there any flat-file (non-bundled) applications out there any longer? I
think I've noticed some in the System folder.

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name