Thanks for these suggestion Steve and Markus.

The table datasource and delegate code has been running very sweetly for a
number of years and has not been changed since it was written some time back.
The table datasource in this case is completely central to the program - and I
never change the datasource or delegate for this table.

That said, the suggestions are interesting - I will try out the debugging ideas.
My problem is, I can’t reproduce a crash to order !
This one happened after the user had been working for three hours.

Peter

On 13/03/15 15:46, Peter Hudson wrote:
> Any comments or suggestions gratefully received !
>
> Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
> 0   libobjc.A.dylib                   0x938810ab objc_msgSend + 27
> 1   com.apple.AppKit                  0x9184a305 -[NSTableView
> _dataSourceValueForColumn:row:] + 69
> 2   com.apple.AppKit                  0x9194e127 -[NSTableView
> preparedCellAtColumn:row:] + 385
> 3   com.apple.AppKit                  0x917efc91 -[NSTableView
> _dirtyVisibleCellsForKeyStateChange] + 878
> 4   com.apple.AppKit                  0x917ef6de -[NSTableView
> _windowChangedKeyState] + 323

This looks like a table's delegate or datasource has been disposed off while
the table still uses it. Make sure to set table delegates/datasources to nil
when the object being used as delegate/datasource is deallocated.

Regards
Markus