> Why bother with a timer loop to animate the wiper when that functionality is
> built-in through CoreAnimation?
> Especially since you are using an image as the wave background.

I guess because I like the playhead being tied to the actual
current sample position, not a separate animation that is faking being
connected to what's happening.  With an animation, that's not really
happening.  If I change the sample rate / playback speed, then core
animation has to be "faking" that.  Where as if its position is just
mapped to an X coordinate based on the math of the number of samples and
current sample index, then you get all of that for free and it seems
better to me.

Patrick J. Collins
http://collinatorstudios.com