On Mar 22, 2015, at 16:28 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Each cycle of the loop it looks at whether any state of any "device" has
> changed and propagates the change.

What I don’t understand is what this has got to do with run loops at all. You
want to poll some state often, I suppose you can do it with run loops, but
seems clunky if you have to *force* the run loop to cycle often.

The thing that comes to mind as an alternative is CVDisplayLink. It’s
effectively a low-overhead timer that runs at the display update rate
(generally 60 fps, synchronized with display updates, as a matter of fact). I
understand that in the case the rate isn’t important — though you don’t need
anything higher than that, because you can’t update the UI at a faster rate
anyway, when something changes in your simulation — but it’s probably high
enough.

Of course, you’d need to keep the processing in your display link callback to a
minimum, and anything that triggers a lot of work or needs to update the UI
will need to be packaged into a block that’s shunted off to a background thread
or the main thread. But it’s a fairly simple way to do high-frequency polling
that’s responsive but not real-time-critical.