>> If this is so: why did my compiler not tell me about this?
>>
>>      NSString *string = @"abc 〄 xyz";        // JAPANESE INDUSTRIAL STANDARD
>> SYMBOL = U+3004
>
> Perhaps because U=3004 is a 2-byte value and U+1f6b2 is not? Have you tried
> changing the encoding of your source file to something else? You'll probably
> have to store such strings in .strings or hardcode the hex values and build
> the strings from that.

You are right:

My string looks like:
 string "abc 🚲 xyz" contains:
char[  0] = 0x00061
char[  1] = 0x00062
char[  2] = 0x00063
char[  3] = 0x00020
char[  4] = 0x1f6b2     ← this is a bicycle
char[  5] = 0x00020
char[  6] = 0x00078
char[  7] = 0x00079
char[  8] = 0x0007a

which seems ok.

But when I print the bits in NSCharacterSet bitmapRepresentation I get:

 bit[  1] = 0x00020 = " "
 bit[  2] = 0x00061 = "a"
 bit[  3] = 0x00062 = "b"
 bit[  4] = 0x00063 = "c"
 bit[  5] = 0x00078 = "x"
 bit[  6] = 0x00079 = "y"
 bit[  7] = 0x0007a = "z"
 bit[  8] = 0x0f6b2 = ""       ← this should be 0x1f6b2, which is a bicycle.

Looks like there is a bug in characterSetWithCharactersInString, or not?

Kind regards,

Gerriet.