Is behavior of NSURLProtocol changed with Safari 5.1?

I have a plugin that registeres a protocol handler xyz://  for example

It succeeds and I can see all the requests to files on web pages being
consulted with the object via
+(BOOL) canInitWithRequest:(NSUrlRequest):

With Safari 5.0 I would get consulted on all schemas (of cource it would
only return YES for the xyz://)  but with Safari 5.1.10 the only
consultation I get (canInitWithRequest) are with the webpage schema
(https://) and never see any calls asking about xyz:// protocol

What can I do to get it to work in Safari 5.1.10?

On PC for example, when registering custom protocol I actually have to
specify that it is secure and ok to be invoked when running from HTTPS,  I
did not see anything like that on OSX, is that the problem and if so is
there a fix for it?

Thank you