Thank you very much, the NSWorkspace trick is neat. Doesn’t work for me,
though. Or, more precisely, doesn’t work for me on the external display.
Activating the Finder either through NSRunningApplication or NSWorkspace on
the built-in display works, but trying the same thing on my external
display results in the Finder window staying unfocused.

What I am really trying to do is moving the Finder window to a secondary
display, keeping it focused. Simply changing the window frame works great,
but when the focused window arrives on the secondary display, the menu bar
on that display stays unfocused, translucent. Which doesn’t feel right, as
moving the window manually (using the mouse, that is) makes the menu bar on
the secondary display focused. So I came up with a trick: I hide the app
before moving, change the window frame to move it, and then I unhide the
app again. The window then gets focused and so does the menu bar. The trick
works, but not for Finder…

T.