Just a quick follow-up and thanks to those that put me on the right path.

I ran the code in GDB on a 10.6.8 machine and set NSZombieEnabled=YES.  This
showed me the object that was released that Cocoa was calling
tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row: on after release.  This was only a
problem on 10.6.8 machines.

The solution was to set the datasource and delegate to nil on the table before
exiting the stack that started the process.

This does seem to be a bug when building with Xcode 6.2 and 10.9 SDK.

-rags