I was running on an iPad.  When I switched to the iPad 2 simulator, I
could enable Guard Malloc.

With guard malloc an assert is tripped over a retain count that, at
that point, should be 1.

I expect I have an errant pointer elsewhere in my code.  I know how to
track such things down.

I'm not dead certain yet but something like this may ultimately work:

- (IBAction) doSave
{
   [self performSelector: delayedSave withObject: nil afterDelay: 2.0];
}

- (void) delayedSave: (id) object
{
   // prompt for file name with UIAlertView, then save the file
}

What I would prefer would be to have a guarantee that the action sheet
has already been dismissed before I display the alert.  Just trying
out different ad-hoc delays seems a little sketchy.