> Did you set your progress indicator to indeterminate? If not, it’s not going
> to animate.

As I mentioned it’s the spinning busy indicator, which is always indeterminate.

Something odd is happening, which may or may not have an effect on the busy
indicator (which is a minor annoyance, but possibly an indication of a much
more major problem).

When I start my threaded operations, my main loop generally remains responsive
and as each operation block completes, it updates a view (via the main thread)
and I see those updates arriving as they complete as intended. I can also
interact with the view while this is happening, so I can see that events are
being processed and handled by the view as normal.

But when I click in the menubar, the main thread suddenly blocks as given by
the stack trace in my previous message. It remains blocked until all of the
pending operations complete.

My menubar does not have any hooks into my app’s code at all - I’m not even
implementing menu item validation at the moment. What could the menubar click
be waiting on that matters? If it’s “normal” that clicking in the menubar
blocks the main thread while there is an operation queue with unfinished tasks
that has nothing to do with it, then I think that’s got to be a bug in the OS -
it just doesn’t make sense.

This is a much more serious issue than the busy indicator animation, but
something tells me it may be related in some way, though I’m not really seeing
what it is at the moment.

A general question - given a blocked lock (semaphore_wait_trap), how can I
discover in the debugger what other threads or code is holding that lock?

—Graham